[extropy-chat] The Nanogirl News~

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Fri Oct 8 01:03:41 UTC 2004

--- Gina Miller <nanogirl at halcyon.com> wrote:
> Autonomous Atom Assembly. The ability to use an STM
> to move and position atoms with lattice site
> precision provides us with a quantum workbench to
> study the effects of quantum confinement and the
> electronic structure of perfect nanostructures. So
> far, atomic manipulation has been performed
> manually, or with rudimentary computer assistance.
> We are working to extend this capability
> significantly by developing an Autonomous Atom
> Assembler (AAA). An autonomous atom assembler is an
> instrument capable of assembling a desired
> nanostructure from an unknown random collection of
> atoms without human intervention. (NIST 8/04)

http://physics.nist.gov/Divisions/Div841/Gp3/Projects/STM/aaa_proj.html

Which results in a 2D image, but we know how to do 3D
printing from lots of 2D prints.  And somehow I doubt
anyone's going to call "fat fingers" on them until
after they've proven they can do it.

They even call it an assembler...

http://www.suntimes.com/output/business/cst-fin-cia05arryx.html

http://www.sciencenews.org/articles/20041002/fob1.asp

http://www.nature.com/news/2004/040920/full/040920-1.html

http://www.photonics.com/XQ/ASP/url.readarticle/artid.251/QX/readart.htm

http://www.eetimes.com/at/news/showArticle.jhtml?articleId=47101871

http://www.mpg.de/english/illustrationsDocumentation/documentation/pressReleases/2004/pressRelease20040924/index.html

http://www.sandia.gov/news-center/news-releases/2004/micro-nano/database.html

> Get set for nanotech. Nanotechnology is being called
> many
=== message truncated ===>