[extropy-chat] ImmInst Update

Bruce J. Klein bjk at imminst.org
Sat Oct 9 05:06:43 UTC 2004

IMMINST UPDATE

IMMINST FILM PROJECT

Adding their support to David Kekich and James Halperin,
The Life Extension Foundation graciously donates $5,000 in
support of the ImmInst Film Project - http://www.imminst.org/film

To support the film with a tax-deductible donation, contact filmmaker
Bruce Klein - bjk at imminst.org

IMMINST CHAT

Oct 10 @ 8PM ET - Jamais Cascio - The Future of Life Extension
Writer and consultant Jamais Cascio joins ImmInst to ponder
questions about how advances in genetic engineering, artificial
intelligence, nanotechnology and more are transforming our social
and political systems, and what it means that the living forever
may well be within our grasps...
http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?s=&act=ST&f=63&t=4223

IMMINST FORUM DISCUSSION

The Problem with 'Infinite' - Aubrey de Grey
...I would therefore like to make a specific proposal to ImmInst.  The
problem of the multiple uses of "immortality" can be mitigated by a
suitable subtitle, but currently it's being actively exacerbated by
the use of the word "infinite" in "for infinite lifespans".  I wonder
if it would be better to change that to "for unlimited lifespans",
with the word "unlimited" always hyperlinked to a page that stresses
ImmInst's goal of physical rather than spiritual immortality.

What do members think of this sort of approach?
http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?s=&act=ST&f=106&t=4298&#entry38119

IMMINST FORUM DISCUSSION

Pro-Life? - by Annie
...The mentality on this website definitely comes across as "protect life at
all costs". Does that mean (I would hope so!!) that most of you who support
cryonics are pro-life (in the anti-abortion/death penalty sense of the word)?
http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=137&t=4329

IMMINST ARTICLE

Who Wants to Live Forever? - Marko Naumanen
...I don't believe in soul or heaven or reincarnation. Even if you could
prove me that there is heaven or something after death, I would still
want to live forever in this world. Killing yourself just because your
bored or tired is unbelievably stupid.

Three members thus far post their reasoning for wanting to live longer:
http://www.immins.org/why

IMMORTALITY NEWS

Kurzweil's Quest For Eternal Youth Sets Group Abuzz - by Leslie Walker
Kurzweil described a future in which he's convinced immortality -- or a
drastically longer life span -- will be possible thanks to emerging technologies.
His new book, which will hit stores in a few weeks, outlines a special "longevity
program" of diet, exercise and nutritional supplements aimed at slowing the
aging process..
http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?s=&act=ST&f=111&t=3958&#entry38182

EVENTS

Oct 22-24 - Foresight Conference on Advanced Nanotechnology
Crystal City Marriott Hotel in Washington, DC
http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?s=&act=ST&f=159&t=4346

Nov 5-7 - Accelerating Change Conference (ACC)
Physical Space, Virtual Space, and Interface, Palo Alto, CA
http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=159&t=4299

IMMINST EVENT

Dec 4 - ImmInst Social, near Hartford, CT
ImmInst Chair, Bruce Klein will speak about the new ImmInst book,
"The Scientific Conquest of Death," and the ImmInst Film Project,
"Exploring Life Extension."

Free rooms available and Life Extension Magazine will have a reporter
covering the event:
http://www.imminst.org/forum/index.php?act=ST&f=159&t=4220

ABOUT IMMINST

Immortality Institute - For Infinite Lifespans
Mission - End the Blight of Involuntary Death
Members: 1,723 - Full Members: 104

SUPPORT IMMINST

New Full Members
 • kennita
 • jhershierra
 • shazam
 • armrha
 • elrond
 • tropicofcarol
 • dcp1
 • patic

Become an ImmInst Full Member
$5/Mth -- $20/Yr Student -- $50/Yr Employed
http://www.imminst.org/fullmembers