[extropy-chat] (Link) Antihydrogen Propulsion

Alan Eliasen eliasen at mindspring.com
Mon Oct 25 07:23:40 UTC 2004

Hara Ra wrote:
> A few basics to consider:
>
> 1) 1 milligram of anti H2 is 2 mg of energy, approx 1KiloTon of
> explosive energy here. This is considerably MORE than the worst possible
> nuclear plant breakdown, say Chernobyl, involving an order less energy
> over much longer time.

   No, you're not even close.  2 milligrams is equal to 0.04 kilotons of TNT,
or about the amount of energy in 1300 gallons of gasoline.

   Try using Frink:

   http://futureboy.homeip.net/fsp/frink.fsp

   Enter:

   2 mg c^2 -> kilotons TNT
or
   2 mg c^2 -> gallons gasoline

> Point is, once we get beyond micrograms, the facility must be space based.

   Should my local gas station be space-based too, considering?

--
  Alan Eliasen                 | "You cannot reason a person out of a
  eliasen at mindspring.com       |  position he did not reason himself