[extropy-chat] Constitution Restoration Act will effectively transform the United States...

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 25 14:54:14 UTC 2004

--- Giu1i0 Pri5c0 <pgptag at gmail.com> wrote:

> Mike, thanks for the explanation, but now I find this even more
> disturbing.
> You interpret the reference to "Natural Law" in terms of rights, and
> believe it will be used to protect individual rights. I am afraid it
> will be interpreted in terms of duties and things forbidden, and used
> to take individual rights away.
> "Natural Law" is a beautiful philosophic concept, but it is not
> defined precisely, and cannot be defined precisely. So it is very,
> very open to interpretation, and since we are talking of law and
> legislation, the interpretation will be provided by those in power.

No, really, it isn't. I understand that those of you in countries
without Common Law don't have the experience with this, but this is one
of the advantages that the anglo countries have had for several
centuries.

Natural Law starts off recognising that all power, rights, and
responsibility originates in the individual as a sovereign entity in a
state of nature. There are no societal rights, no group rights of any
kind.

And what is the matter with duty, which is just another word for
responsibility? ANY free person is responsible for themselves. The path
to tyranny begins with people who seek to shuck their responsibilities.
It is through giving up responsibility that one loses individual
liberties.

Irresponsibility |=| Freedom

=====
Mike Lorrey