[extropy-chat] (Link) Antihydrogen Propulsion

Alan Eliasen eliasen at mindspring.com
Tue Oct 26 00:42:00 UTC 2004

Hara Ra wrote:
> I tried Frink, couldn't get it to work for me.

   Even cutting and pasting

   2 mg c^2 -> kilotons TNT

   Into the to: box didn't work?  I'll have to look at my web logs and see
what you were trying to do.

> So, basics:
>
> 1 Kg matter by E=Mc^2 gives 10^17 Joules
> 1 Kiloton TNT gives 4 x 10 ^ 12 Joules
> 1 mg Matter gives 10^11 Joules, 2mg (1mg H x 1mg AntiH) gives 2 x 10^11
Joules

   These are basically correct.  Your terminology is off, by the way.  The
"k" prefix is *always* written as lowercase.  Maybe that's where it was going
wrong, but the web-based interface would have told you that explicitly, and
how to fix it, and pointed you here:

   http://physics.nist.gov/cuu/Units/prefixes.html

> 1 mg AntiMatter leads to 50000 grams of TNT. BlockBuster Bomb size.

   This is wrong.  Total conversion of 2 mg (1 mg antimatter, 1 mg matter) is
equivalent to about 39000 kilograms of TNT.

> Anyway, 1g or more antimatter is serious stuff.

   Agreed.

--
  Alan Eliasen                 | "You cannot reason a person out of a
  eliasen at mindspring.com       |  position he did not reason himself
                               |     --Jonathan Swift

> Thanks for corrections.
>
> At 12:23 AM 10/25/2004, you wrote:
>
> >Hara Ra wrote:
> > > A few basics to consider:
> > >
> > > 1) 1 milligram of anti H2 is 2 mg of energy, approx 1KiloTon of
> > > explosive energy here. This is considerably MORE than the worst possible
> > > nuclear plant breakdown, say Chernobyl, involving an order less energy
> > > over much longer time.
> >
> >    No, you're not even close.  2 milligrams is equal to 0.04 kilotons of
TNT,