[extropy-chat] eating god flesh

Damien Broderick thespike at satx.rr.com
Wed Sep 1 18:34:36 UTC 2004

At 08:02 PM 9/1/2004 +0200, Serafino wrote:

>Since the girl got the allergy, from a purely logical pov
>the question seems to be ... was Jesus made of gluten?

Jesus is *now* made of gluten, but only at the level of *appearances* (if I
remember my Aquinas correctly). The *substance* is flesh, but the
*accidents* remain bready. (Thank you, Aristotle. You can go back to
counting your wife's teeth now.)

The obvious theological solution is to allow her a sip of the wine=blood.
(This is deemed equally efficacious on the god-embodiment meter.) Maybe
that's against the law for kids? But this solution misses the
*sociological* reality, which is that the child is being isolated and
stigmatized (so to speak) in front of her classmates, on the basis of a
totally delusional and in fact insane proposition. But then that's the
nature of most social bonding/excluding identifiers, although few are as
comprehensively crazy and disgusting as this one.

Damien Broderick