[extropy-chat] SETI: First radio signal from alien

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 3 13:11:00 UTC 2004

--- Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 03, 2004 at 02:16:24AM -0700, Zero Powers wrote:
>
> > Oh ye of little faith.  I got a $100 says the little green men are
> on
> > their way as we speak.  Then again the signal is only >1000 light
>
> If you can see them, why are they not here?

Because its a navigational beacon left behind by a dead galactic
civilization. Or, it is busy playing video games. Or, it otherwise just
doesn't care. 1000 ly is a long way for a howdy-doo.

> How can an advanced culture radiate anything nonblackbody?

A zero point field heat sink, of course.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development
                                         -William Pitt (1759-1806)