[extropy-chat] hurricane frances

Harvey Newstrom mail at harveynewstrom.com
Sat Sep 4 15:27:13 UTC 2004

On Sep 3, 2004, at 11:48 PM, Spike wrote:
> The way the news media handled this storm Frances caused
> many of the proletariat to flee in a panic.  Nothing sells
> news like danger, eh?  Ordinarily I would be sympathetic
> with that kind of thing, for after all profit was generated.

I don't think this is fair, Spike.  Earlier, this storm was just 10 MPH
short of being a category 5 storm, like Anderw, the worst storm in
history.  Instead of grazing the bottom edge of the state and over some
islands, it is going across the middle of the state.  20 people died in
hurricane Charley, and this storm is still much bigger and much
stronger.  I don't see what is irresponsible about evacuating an area
where dozens of people may be killed even after evacuation.

Besides, the news media didn't invent the evacuation orders, these come
straight from the government.  You can't blame the media for people
evacuating.

> Honestly folks, it isn't the apocalyse, its just a storm.
> Sure there will be some roof damage here and there, stuff
> may fly around.  But in most cases you are safer in your
> sturdy home with adequate supplies, than on some clogged
> freeway filled with panicky and sleepy yahoos creeping to
> the north.  Floridians, stand your ground!

Spike, trees are already down in my home town of Melbourne now.  They
are predicting sustained winds of over 100 MPH for over 24 hours.  Did
you see the pictures from hurricane Charley?  There are foundations
with no houses on them.  Forget mobile home parks which are totally
gone now, I am talking about real structures that are not there
anymore.  People cannot weather the storm in such structures.  This is
how those 20 people died and hundreds were injured, trying to stay
home.

--
Harvey Newstrom, CISSP, CISA, CISM, IAM, IBMCP, GSEC
<HarveyNewstrom.com>