[extropy-chat] hurricane frances

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Sat Sep 4 03:48:31 UTC 2004

> Mike Lorrey

> > ...I have another 100 IVDs that says the shuttles will see no
> > damage from Frances.
>
> No bet. Eyewall velocities are at 100 mph and dropping. Frances is
> going to be a dud. Move along folks, nothing to see here...
> ... ===== Mike Lorrey

OK here is a good place for me to vent.  I have disparaged
the news industry in this forum before, so if you have no
interest in hearing more, do hit delete.

I have been in contact with my parents in Titusville Florida,
just inland of Cape Canaveral.  They decided to stand their
ground, stay in their house, weather the storm.

The way the news media handled this storm Frances caused
many of the proletariat to flee in a panic.  Nothing sells
news like danger, eh?  Ordinarily I would be sympathetic
with that kind of thing, for after all profit was generated.

But the newsers have acted very irresponsibly.  The fleeing
proles have evidently failed to calculate the range of their
Detroits and failed to adequately plan what they would do
at the end of that fuel tank.  (These soldiers will never
make general.  I hope.)  With inadequate fuel and food aboard,
now there are dead conveyances everywhere along I95 and I75,
the two major arteries out of Florida, filled with panicked
proles, frantically searching for fuel, food and water.  Well
fer crying the hell out loud!  They have put themselves in
greater danger than if they would just sit tight at home.
They keep saying there is a mandatory evacuation, but of
course no one has the authority to make you leave your
home.  Its *your* home.

Honestly folks, it isn't the apocalyse, its just a storm.
Sure there will be some roof damage here and there, stuff
may fly around.  But in most cases you are safer in your
sturdy home with adequate supplies, than on some clogged
freeway filled with panicky and sleepy yahoos creeping to
the north.  Floridians, stand your ground!