[extropy-chat] F2F (was: Are the developed nations fleeing into virtualreality? )

KPJ kpj at sics.se
Sat Sep 4 20:10:12 UTC 2004

Zero Powers <zero.powers at gmail.com>:

|But for casual friendships and even business relationships, our
|technology is up to the task.  In my business I've had clients for
|years that I've never met.  They mail me a file, I do my work, mail
|them a bill and they send me a check.  I've talked to them on the
|phone, corresponded through the mail and increasingly by email.  But
|F2F?  For a handful of my clients, never.

In my experience, people who meet each other F2F (and who do not start
to hate each other) tend to later allow each other to be more of a nuisance
than people who have never met.

For interactions with a system of rules, like law or business, this may not
become essential but in an informal setting, like a mailing list or the like,
people who have been charming F2F tend to get better treatment than somebody
who people have never met F2F.

Your mileage may vary.