[extropy-chat] F2F (was: Are the developed nations fleeing into virtualreality? )

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 4 23:29:50 UTC 2004

--- KPJ <kpj at sics.se> wrote:

> Zero Powers <zero.powers at gmail.com>:
> |
> |But for casual friendships and even business relationships, our
> |technology is up to the task.  In my business I've had clients for
> |years that I've never met.  They mail me a file, I do my work, mail
> |them a bill and they send me a check.  I've talked to them on the
> |phone, corresponded through the mail and increasingly by email.  But
> |F2F?  For a handful of my clients, never.
>
> In my experience, people who meet each other F2F (and who do not
> start
> to hate each other) tend to later allow each other to be more of a
> nuisance
> than people who have never met.

I have to agree here. I'm getting more involved in my new job at
1-800-serve-em.com and it's a pretty slick system we have here (it runs
on a proprietary database applet server called World View our owner
developed). We generally never meet any of our clients or our
subcontractors, and of course if I ever meet someone who is a target of
our civil process services and is seeking us out, I hope I'm armed.
Outside of phone calls, faxes, and emails, we almost never meet anybody
we do business with. People hire us via fax or email without ever
calling, they pay us via faxed check or credit card, and receive our
services quickly and without any other communication if their target is
not difficult to find.

Now, anonymous transactions in this business are necessarily
impossible, since it is in the civil process service, and the plaintiff
and defendant generally always know each other to some degree, but if
we do our job right, with law firm on one side and local process server
on the other, we are the anonymous man in the middle that the parties
on either end never hear about.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development