[extropy-chat] unevolved Italians

scerir scerir at libero.it
Mon Sep 6 06:16:38 UTC 2004

Moratti, apparently, said, in March, that biology lessons
need not feature evolution, but apparently added that
creationism should be a part of voluntary religious-studies
classes (Nature 428, 595, 2004).

"It is absolutely not true that the Ministry has removed
the teaching of evolutionary theory from primary and middle
schools. The discussion of Darwinian theory, a foundation
of modern biological science, is assured for students
from 6 to 18 years, according to gradual didactic theories.
I wish in this regard to restate that the main objective of
the school Reform is to create free consciences, developing
a critical sense in students from the first years of their
schooling. We wish to assure our children, under the guidance
of teachers, a plurality of sources and opinions, so that
they can compare and form their own critical consciences.
We wish to stimulate all students to think, from the smallest
to the oldest, so that they can form a responsible personality
based on principles, values, lifestyles, and behaviors [which
are] conscious, founded on respect for others, and open to
comparison." (April, 28)

Minister Moratti added that, given the recent debate, a
commission has been formed to study the question of evolution
and give precise pointers to create a basis for all 'curricula'.
This commission is headed by Rita Levi Montalcini (senator for life
and Nobel prize winner in medicine), and includes Carlo Rubbia, Nobel
for physics, Roberto Colombo, professor of neurobiology and genetics
at the Università Cattolica Sacro Cuore di Milano, and Vittorio
Sgaramella, professor of molecular biology at the University of
Calabria. [Prof. Rita Levi Montalcini is 95].

It is just a case of "passion at a distance" (Abner Shimony),
between the Vatican City and the Ministry.