[extropy-chat] unevolved Italians

Alfio Puglisi puglisi at arcetri.astro.it
Mon Sep 6 08:51:59 UTC 2004

On Mon, 6 Sep 2004, Amara Graps wrote:

>Not only education. Her complete title is "Minister for Education,
>and Universities and Scientific Research".
>
>http://www.governo.it/Governo/Biografie/moratti_letizia_eng.html
>
>>From what I've observed at my work, she is loathed in the scientific
>research areas as well. How did a person who has absolutely no
>experience in science and research earn that position of Minister?
>It makes me very depressed about Italy.

Government misters in Italy are choosen for their political connections,
not because they are experts on the subject, nor because they are good
administrators. A recurrent exception is the minister for health care,
who is frequently an ex-doctor.
Most people realize that the situation is bad, but have a fatalistic (?)
attitude and think they can do nothing about it. In the US such people
would stop voting. In Italy they just continue to vote for the same party
they have voted for in the previous elections... so voting percentages are
high, but hardly anything changes.

Alfio