[extropy-chat] why do we stop laughing?

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Wed Sep 8 06:38:26 UTC 2004

 Spike:

> Did you laugh just now?  What caused you stop?  What is
> *different* in your brain now compared to half a minute ago?
> Why don't humans die laughing?... spike

...And if we figure out what causes us to stop laughing,
we should eventually be able to adjust that.  We have
all known people that were too sober or too silly.  Or
both.  We could crank up the giggle-governor when it is
time to work, then turn it back down when our buddies
come over to view Monte Python videos.

As we get closer to uploading, we will surely start to
stumble upon stuff like this: odd mechanisms that have
evolved in our brains that do things that we don't even
vaguely understand, and don't know how to code, or can't
get to work right.  The first uploads might be rendered
helpless because no one wrote the subroutine that allow
them to recover from the first good joke they get in
the email.