[extropy-chat] [Pigdog] Fwd: Extropian Trash (fwdfromthespian at doitnow.com)

Jeff Davis jrd1415 at yahoo.com
Sat Sep 11 01:04:28 UTC 2004

--- Gina Miller <nanogirl at halcyon.com> wrote:

> Huh? I don't understand why she's supportive of
> advanced technology, and is then against those who
> support it?

I would guess that she got a wrong impression of the
extropes, and then got carried away.

I kind of enjoyed her little rant, didn't take it too
seriously, looked on it as an artistic piece, more
about style than substance.  After all, who starts a
serious piece with "I HATE THE..."?

Feels to me like she's emulating--to some degree--the
style of Cintra Wilson, another Bay Area woman writer
with a tasty over-the-top style.

So I would go with Natasha's recommendation, Gina,
that you not take it personal.

Also, by way of trying to understand why someone so
technophilic, educated, and talented would get her
knickers in a twist over the extropians, I direct your
attention to the second sentence in the piece, which
starts with "I just can't say enough bad things
about..." and ends with what at first might seem an
oddly specific focus of criticism: "...(perhaps worst
of all) the science fiction of Robert Heinlein."

Why does she single out Heinlein?  Where in the
extropian experience does she chance upon something
Heinleinian, and how does this encounter so unsettle
her that she is moved to link Heinlein and
Extropianism and then confer upon this mysterious
coupling the gold medal of ire: "perhaps worst of
all"?

Occam's razor explains all.

She came to the extropian's list.  She read some of
Mike Lorrey's stuff--thus the Heinlein
connection--TAANSTAAFL et al--and her head exploded.

That would be my guess.

Best, Jeff Davis

   "Everything's hard till you know how to do it."
                           Ray Charles