[extropy-chat] [Pigdog] Fwd:ExtropianTrash(fwdfromthespian at doitnow.com)

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sat Sep 11 16:44:05 UTC 2004

--- Brett Paatsch <bpaatsch at bigpond.net.au> wrote:
> Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:
>
> >... our opponents are SCARED, and this
> > can only mean that they realize that transhumanist
> thinking is
> > here to stay and grow, perhaps more than we
> ourselves hope:
> > our enemies actually believe in the fast spread of
>  transhumanist
> > memes more than transhumanists themselves.
>
> Perhaps folk like Kass, Fukutyama and an assortment
> of
> professional opinionists are actually in a symbiotic
> relationship with
> transhumanists. Sort of like the media is in a
> symbiotic relationship
> with politicians.

I'd say the opioninists are more like parasites than
symbiots.  Politicians provide fodder to the media,
who in turn provide exposure to the politicians.  What
unquestionably good/useful thing do opinionists
provide to us?  We already get exposure just by
ourselves.  Contrast this to how things would be if
we weren't there: they would have to find something
else to write irate articles about.