[extropy-chat] "ExtropianTrash"-philosophy for a post-modernworld VS JW's

Michael B. Hubbard michael at mbhubbard.com
Sun Sep 12 13:51:30 UTC 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org
[mailto:extropy-chat-bounces at lists.extropy.org] On Behalf Of Giu1i0 Pri5c0
Sent: Sunday, September 12, 2004 12:49 AM

Are you saying that Jehovah's Whitnesses may be more open to
transhumanist ideas than other groups? Odd, I would never thought that
in view for example of their being against blood transfusions etc.

[MBH]

I think with the JWs its largely a matter technique. They would nt be
opposed to living on earth with vastly increased lifespans, in fact, you can
read certain passages in the bib as proof of the possibility. Their method
of achieving those lifespans, though, would be decidedly low-tech, i.e.,
diet modification (within "biblical strictures"), use of herbal supplements,
etc. Uploading or cybernetic/genetic enhancement would probably be viewed as
debasing the body, though, and would be prohibited (at least in one sect.
Availability said technologies would likely create yet another schism in the
JW organization.)