[extropy-chat] 60 minutes' credibility

Spike spike66 at comcast.net
Mon Sep 13 05:29:58 UTC 2004

I hafta wonder if Dan "the Forger" Rather is about to hang
himself with this kinda stuff going around on the web:

1972 Email Casts Doubt on Bush Guard Service

CBS reporter Dan Rather today released the text of a recently discovered
email from then-Lt. George W. Bush's Air National Guard commanding
officer which casts more doubt upon the military service of the man who
would become the 43rd President of the United States.

The revelation of the email comes just hours after questions were raised
about the authenticity of typewritten memos from the same officer, shown
yesterday by Mr. Rather on 60 Minutes.

According to the previously unseen email message sent in May 1972 by
squadron commander Jerry Killian, Lt. Bush phoned Col. Killian because
"his internet connection was on the fritz and he couldn't IM me."

Lt. Bush apparently wanted to talk about "how he can get out of coming
to drill from now through November."

According to Col. Killian's email, the young Bush wanted to go to
Alabama to work as webmaster for a Republican candidate's website.

Mr. Rather said the authenticity of the 32-year-old email has been
confirmed by several Nigerian officials who specialize in electronic
funds transfer by email.