[extropy-chat] Mature rationality

Trend Ologist trendologist at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Sep 15 05:49:30 UTC 2004

Nietzsche wrote, "there are rational reasons for
abandoning rationalism". If memory serves, the full
quote was actually "There are rational reasons for
abandoning rationalism altogether", but shall we amend
his dictum to write that sometimes irrationalism can
be expedient, even anodyne?
The first of two personal examples is: in the past I
would respond to those acquaintances with whom I am
barely on speaking terms by being direct; this has
very recently become very wearying, so I speak
irrationally. With a wild-eyed look I told an
anti-abortionist we need more wars to kill off the
surfeit of population. He fled
 I am accosted constantly by religious proselytizers
and have recently discovered that it is impossible to
have a sincerely rational discussion with them without
becoming extremely irritated. A definition of
rationality in this context would be responding to a
religionist in a thoroughly forthright manner, but as
their demeanor almost invariably displays ulterior
motives I as of last week have started to harbor no
guilt in speaking to them in a slightly dissembling,
irrational manner yet without becoming excessively
aggressive.
 Last week a proselytizer said she wanted to ask me a
question; in the past I would have listened to the
question without interruption, without any guile, but
fatigue of the same question being asked for the
several hundredth time prompted me to quickly
interject, "only if you let me ask YOU a question".
She reluctantly agreed and launched the familiar,
expected question, "who do you think Jesus is?"
 I replied he was a man who lived two thousand years
ago, she then wanted to know if I thought he was the
son of God. In the past I would have replied 'perhaps'
or 'I don't know', but rather than become irritated or
terminate the conversation, I decided on a new tack,
asking her "how can God have a son?".
Her predictable answer was "God can do anything", so I
retorted by asking "how can 'God-dom be passed to a
new generation?".
She became flustered, replying, "you asked your
question!", then turned on her heel, ending the
discussion. The completely honest response to her
query would have been agnostic, but by being cagey and
slightly irrational the conversation was brought to a
satisfactory conclusion, perhaps for her as well,
since she wasted no more than one or two minutes of
her time.