[extropy-chat] Moveon.org

Brent Neal brentn at freeshell.org
Tue Sep 21 18:06:26 UTC 2004

 (9/21/04 1:39) Samantha Atkins <samantha at objectent.com> wrote:

>On Sep 17, 2004, at 6:38 PM, Brent Neal wrote:
>
>>  (9/16/04 19:40) Spike <spike66 at comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>> Nor do I.  The difference is one is tax-and-spend,
>>> the other is cut-taxes-and-spend-anyway.  What we
>>> desperately need is cut-taxes-and-cut-spending.
>>> Badnarik is your man, Brent.  I hope some day you
>>> will join us.  And the world will live as 6 billion.
>>

>> Spike,
>>
>>  I voted for Harry Browne twice. I could have kicked myself for the
>> last time, since it indirectly enabled the Shrub to be elected. Until
>> the Libertarians get their shit together, stop jousting windmills, and
>> start thinking practicality, they have no chance, IMO. I'll keep
>> choosing the best of the Dems and the Reps until they do.
>>

>Isn't it very counter-productive to continue to vote for what you don't
>want while waiting for someone else to get it together enough to
>impress you enough that you will actually vote for what you do want?
>It seems to make more sense to go out and help the Libertarians "get
>their shit together" or form another party that does have it together
>so what you really believe is the way things should be has a chance.
>Voting for the less evil of two parties you abhor guarantees evil will
>continue to reign and run the country the rest of the way into the
>ground.

The Libertarian Party has proven to me over the past 8 years that not only are they completely incapable of making a reasonable, pragmatic approach to introducing their ideas to greater America, but that anyone such as myself who is interested in educating the 'unwashed masses' is to be treated with suspicion and contempt.

I have better ways to spend my time than beating my head against the wall. And by encouraging those people in both parties who share my ideas about government of, by, and for the people, I think I'm accomplishing more than I would as a completely marginalized party of one.

The interesting thing about your reply is that you assume that everyone in each party is exactly the same and that each party is a monolithic entity. I encourage you to read some newspapers, research your local candidates, and understand the important fact that both parties are composed of individuals, some of whom may be less objectionable than others.

Brent

Brent Neal
Geek of all Trades
http://brentn.freeshell.org

"Specialization is for insects" -- Robert A. Heinlein