[extropy-chat] Cloning and the Constitution

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Sep 29 20:14:19 UTC 2004

--- Kurt Schoedel <kurt at metatechnica.com> wrote:
> the kind of enhancements that we want do not pose a
> threat to public
> safety or create a "burden" on society (in fact,
> they do quite the
> opposite)

That is the fact being debated.  A lot of the "social
welfare limits" backers believe that the enhancements
*would* create a threat or a burden.  That is both
their legal justification, and part of their personal
motive.

It would behoove us to thoroughly prove that these
would not, in fact, create threats or burdens in any
realistic case, and that this cases being presented
where they would (e.g., terrorists have access to
advanced forms of these enhancements while normal
people don't have any) are totally unrealistic.