[extropy-chat] Cloning and the Constitution

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 20:22:44 UTC 2004

--- Kurt Schoedel <kurt at metatechnica.com> wrote:

> Along with many of you, I read with interest the piece by Brain
> Alexander about how scientific research is protected by the 1st
> amendment. I would like to add to this discussion.

I'd add that freedom of expression extends to reproduction and genetic
research (i.e. how your DNA is expressed) specifically because as DNA
is essentially information, it can be described as IP, and is thus the
product of creativity, ergo expression. Organisms that grow from that
DNA are product: sculpture, offspring, etc. Thus, genetic research of
any kind is specifically First Amendment activity.

HOWEVER: For the same reason that the federal government does not
finance, own, or compell the operation of printing presses, computer
servers, or radio/tv broadcasters, or churches, temples, tabernackles,
or other houses of worship, the federal government cannot and should
not be in the business of financing, subsidizing, owning, or compelling
genetic research, except in constitutionally authorized areas, like
national security related research.

The reason for this is that you cannot compel the taxpayer to pay for
speech which they are morally or religiously opposed to, just as you
cannot compel a person who is morally scrupulous against bearing arms
(a concientious objector) to bear arms in the military.

It is just as wrong to force someone who believes that abortions are
murder to pay for that murder through their taxes, whether you agree
with them or not.

=====
Mike Lorrey
Chairman, Free Town Land Development