[extropy-chat] The Times - I'm going to live forever

David Lubkin extropy at unreasonable.com
Fri Apr 1 17:41:41 UTC 2005

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 wrote:

>The Times: Some scientists predict that today's children will be able
>to live for more than 1,000 years. Is immortality just around the
>corner? Bryan Appleyard peers into a hair-raising future without
>death.

while Mike asked, in the papal thread:

>If he is the last pope, would that be because of the Singularity?

Combining threads -- it is reasonable to presume that within a few papal
successions (perhaps with the impending election), the Church will have a
pope with an indefinitely long lifespan.

How would the Church cope with this? Neither the stagnation of a Forever
Pope nor the confusion inherent in a cadre of retired popes seems tolerable
from a Catholic POV.

Similarly, Prince William could reign for millennia and the Dalai Lama
might cease reincarnating.

We certainly should reconsider life tenure for judges.

-- David Lubkin.