[extropy-chat] il papa's last rites?

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Sat Apr 2 05:10:18 UTC 2005

--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:
> This raises a very interesting prospect. Once the Pope's brain
> activity has
> halted, it is to be hoped that his feeding tube remains in place, and
> that
> every miracle of medical science is used -- as God is now known to
> have
> intended -- to keep his mindless body ticking over. Catholics would
> then be
> in an interesting situation: an unreplaceable supreme Pontiff whose
> silence
> is infallible and indefinitely protracted.

And they would truly hear the voice of God: silence.

I can't help but wonder - Christianity claims there is a better world
beyond death for the good and faithful.  Yet, when it comes time for
said good and faithful to move on to that world - an occasion that
should be cause for celebration - the overwhelming feeling is of
remorse, and prayer that death be delayed yet longer.  Is there a word
that better describes this than "hypocrisy"?