[extropy-chat] Appropriate List Content - was Malachy's Prophecies; Pope John Paul II, then two before the destruction of the Holy Roman Church

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 5 18:01:41 UTC 2005

--- Adrian Tymes <wingcat at pacbell.net> wrote:
> We're talking, of course, about "crap filters".
>
> For this list, part of the crap filter is *ignoring*
> prophecies from
> sources that have usually been to be too vague to
> give useful
> predictions, or incorrect if they are not vague.

 I agree. But the key word here is *ignoring*. If
Eugen had just ignored the posts about the vague and
useless prophecies, I would not have been so confused
and upset. But ignoring a post is quite different from
calling for the poster to be banned. I don't care one
way or another about prophecies from any source. Even
the predictions of Nobel Laureates have been wrong. So
much so in fact that few serious scientists will risk
making them. I am not saying that you should not use a
"crap filter", I am saying that your "crap filter"
should not be forced upon anybody else. To do
otherwise is censorship plain and simple. And at least
IMHO censorship is completely contrary to the Extropic
ideal. So whether I believe said prophecies to have
any merit or not, I will defend my fellow Extrope's
right to discuss them on this list without being
threatened with banishment.

The Avantguardian

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson