[extropy-chat] Appropriate List Content - was Malachy's Prophecies; Pope John Paul II, then two before the destruction of the Holy Roman Church

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Apr 5 18:42:51 UTC 2005

On Tue, Apr 05, 2005 at 11:01:41AM -0700, The Avantguardian wrote:

>  I agree. But the key word here is *ignoring*. If
> Eugen had just ignored the posts about the vague and

I can, and have ignored many things. If I didn't, we wouldn't have this
argument.

Unfortunately, other people have not have been that patient.
I'm missing the input of those people.

> useless prophecies, I would not have been so confused
> and upset. But ignoring a post is quite different from

I am sorry you're upset. You shouldn't. I'm just trying to increase the
channel utility for everyone by trying to achieve a consensus on whether we
do or no do want a policy enforcement (not moderation) on this list. The
final decision is for the list owner (Natasha, I presume) to decide.

I notice so far most people have remained silent. So, are you content with
the status quo?

> calling for the poster to be banned. I don't care one

I see I wasn't clear. I'll try it again: I'm suggesting a policy enforcement
by a system of warnings, temporary suspensions and outright bans *only* for
deliberate attempts to destroy the list.

> way or another about prophecies from any source. Even
> the predictions of Nobel Laureates have been wrong. So
> much so in fact that few serious scientists will risk
> making them. I am not saying that you should not use a
> "crap filter", I am saying that your "crap filter"
> should not be forced upon anybody else. To do

I disagree. The alternatives are much worse.

> otherwise is censorship plain and simple. And at least

Would you call peer review and the work of editors censorship, too?

> IMHO censorship is completely contrary to the Extropic
> ideal. So whether I believe said prophecies to have

I agree. So let's not censor. Let's have policy enforcement.

> any merit or not, I will defend my fellow Extrope's
> right to discuss them on this list without being
> threatened with banishment.

So far, everyone seems to disagree with me, either mildly, or strongly.
Anyone else?