[extropy-chat] META: List Topics

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 01:56:30 UTC 2005

--- Natasha Vita-More <natasha at natasha.cc> wrote:
>I'll speak with David McFadzean to make sure
> that it clearly states the purpose of the list.

    Thank you, Natasha as that would be very useful.
Right now it essentially says that one can judge
appropriate content from context by what is posted by
current members. The problem arises when list members
are held to different standards for content by
seniority. While as Adrian Tymes pointed out this is
natural in that in most lists the old-timers are given
more leeway than newbies, Eugen also had a  point in
that this is not most lists, this is a very special
list. Plus we are trying to get more members right? So
in light of all this, I have a proposal for a
solution:

     Take advantage of the existing architecture,
wherein each subscriber can choose either to recieve
their emails separately or in a digest. One then
assigns one of the list moderators to act as an editor
for the digest. Thus either a single assigned list
moderator or a rotating roster of moderators can act
as that day's editor.
     Then right-brainers like Eugen could subscribe to
the digest and get their information-dense data fix
that has been scoured clean of any unextropic
sentiments or ideas. Conversely the left-brainers
(like myself and others... you know who you are) could
subscribe to the regular list and get what we desire,
which is more of a salon style social forum, where we
can write serious posts about extropic topics, wax
philosophical, post haikus about the Pope, make our
silly puns or obscure references to literature, and
trade light banter without arousing the ire of the
oh-so-serious left-brainers.

So what y'all think?

The Avantguardian

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson