[extropy-chat] META: List Topics

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 7 17:31:19 UTC 2005

--- Eugen Leitl <eugen at leitl.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 07, 2005 at 06:20:28AM -0700, Mike Lorrey wrote:
>
> > > I think there are a ton of lists like this not to mention Usenet.
> > > I can suggest some if you want to sample them.
> > > Maintaining a high signal to noise list requires vicious thread
> > > and even poster snipping.
> > > quite. I think this list manages itself quite finely already.
> > > Asking

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/chronicle/archive/2000/01/18/MN73840.DTL

I suppose this is a way of saying "Mike, you're an idiot" without being
guilty of ad hominem....

There are certainly participants who now and in the past have
overstepped. The moderators generally do a good job of policing with a
light hand (and I'm someone they've spanked). Few list participants, I
think, are completely incapable of being moderated. They have been as
few and far between as they have been memorable. The famous
Scientologist attacking Max More several years ago was one such who
comes to mind, who was undeterred by a duel challenge. Joe Dees was
another.

In managing my own extro-freedom list for some 5 years now, the only
real issue we've had there is the occasional neo-nazi, commercial, or
radical leftist spammer. I therefore automatically have new members
posting on moderation until they prove through a few posts that they
are intent on being positive contributors to the list. Traffic remains
low and signal is high and I let people post what they want.

I believe we have something similar on extropy-chat as well, though I'm
not sure how it works.

Mike Lorrey
                                      -William Pitt (1759-1806)
Blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com