[extropy-chat] re: embedded in open hearts

Hubert Mania humania at t-online.de
Sun Apr 10 17:51:38 UTC 2005

Amara said:

>   Dear Hubert,
>
> I wish you would stop and pause before you rant. Your
> knee-jerk response to anything Catholic is tiring.

Dear Amara, I know, it's tiring for me, too. I did not have to speak against
catholicism for 30 years now. I'm out of practice, so everything I say comes
out politely and careful, not with the drive of a 20 year old. But you are
right, I should stop now. It's a waste of time. My uncle was a Vatican
priest for a while in the late 60s. I've had enough of this battle against
religion.

If you believe that JP2 was such a giant of a loving god substitute, who is
worth the pilgrimage to his dead body, please ask your Jesuit friend the
most innocent question, why protestants are not invited to have "Holy
Communion" at one common place together with catholics. JP2 has laid a ban
on this. He speaks of "Anathema sit". That means you should be damned as a
priest if you ever let a protestant  take part in the catholic Communion.
And this is one of the more harmless problems. But it demonstrates that his
pose of a world open pope who inivites the youth of the world was - putting
it mildly - phony. He was an inflexible fossil.

> Besides Guy being a colleague, a friend, a very funny and
> nice person, I'm convinced that he, or those like him,
> are necessary to show devoutly religious people how important
> is science. He's an excellent 'bridge' between science and
> religion, and a model of a person following their passions.

Your colleague and friend might be a world reknown astronomer and the most
charming person ever. I would never deny this. But if he tries to speak
in favor of the Vatican's position in the Galileo case, - after 400 years of
knowing better - there should be ringing something in your head, no? I quit
reading the interview, because I am familiar with Galileo's life and know
the facts - I edited a German biography on him - so what your friend says
about the "modernism" of the church is absurd.