[extropy-chat] Gmail doubles in size

Emlyn emlynoregan at gmail.com
Mon Apr 11 06:05:13 UTC 2005

On Apr 11, 2005 12:02 PM, Extropian Agroforestry Ventures Inc.
<megao at sasktel.net> wrote:
> I'm at 30% of my personal  2.072G but the only thing I don't like is
> that you can't just scroll through your
> entire email cache

The "All Mail" link on the left gets you pretty close.

> and can't file away emails into a dozen or 2 sub files.

Look at the "Labels" feature, it replaces the idea of "folders" (or is
this not what you mean?)

> Grew up on netscape and usually let mail build up to 15-20,000 before
> doing a full house cleaning and
> resorting into numerous archived folders.

Assigning labels using rules will do most of this for you; I do that
combined with auto-archiving, which means the messages never hit my
Inbox.

> I really love the way I can cache large files and resend fast remotely
> from gmail.
> I am on a rural dialup where 24.4 is more than the usual throughput no
> matter how you try.
>
> I , for example did  up a disk today  with close to 1000  key data files
> - 800 megs and sending it to a friend
> on a high speed connection for him to upload the whole thing to a single
> dedicated gmail filebox.
>
> I will be doing that several times and have most of my office mobile.
>

> Emlyn wrote:
>
> >Gmail (google email) has just doubled it's mailbox size to 2gb, yay!
> >I've been betting from the start that google's plan is to increase
> >mailbox sizes more quickly than people can fill them up. So far so
> >good for me, given that after maybe 9 months using gmail I'd only
> >gotten up to 280mb.
> >
> >It's also recently added POP support, cool stuff for those clinging
> >desperately to client-based email. They also say they support lots of
> >browsers now, for the non-ie people out there. Haven't tried it
> >though.
> >
> >I pretty much only use gmail now, via the web client (the only other
> >email I use is corporate email from my workplace via outlook, and only
> >because I am forced to). It is quick, the interface is clean, the
> >searching is excellent, and obviously it holds a sh*tload of email.
> >Availability of the servers was touch-and-go early on, but it's now
> >rock solid.
> >
> >If you looked at it early and discarded it, now's the time to have
> >another look. I've got zillions of invites if anyone wants one.
> >
> >btw, I'm not being paid by google :-) This is quite a sycophantic post
> >though, isn't it? Hopeless.
> >

> --

Emlyn

http://emlynoregan.com   * blogs * music * software *