[extropy-chat] Exoskeletons about to hit market

Adrian Tymes wingcat at pacbell.net
Wed Apr 13 01:08:02 UTC 2005

--- Joseph Bloch <jbloch at humanenhancement.com> wrote:
> Absolutely fascinating stuff.
>
> If it becomes feasible (and doubtless in a few years it can be) to
> super-power the motors, I can definitely see uses for being able to
> run
> at 45 mph and being able to lift a ton.

Note for those who haven't been tracking it: the one problem most of
these run into - which is the main reason they haven't been hitting the
market until now - is power.  Most versions have tried to use battery
power, with an eye towards being able to be used indoors; if you think
electric cars have a problem with mileage, exoskeletons have them beat
hands-down.  One could, in theory, solve this with a gasoline or other
conventional motor...if you could find many customers willing to have a
running gasoline motor strapped to their back.  It's the exhaust more
than the potential for explosion, so fuel cells may be a solution here.
I've seen one maker solve this problem by having their exoskeletons
plug in to building power or an external mobile generator;
unfortunately, their sales department is a bit touched in the head and
they're restricting sales to hospitals only.  (Specifically, for
lifting of heavy patients - a niche market within a niche market.)