[extropy-chat] EMP Attack?

Bret bret at bonfireproductions.com
Tue Apr 19 20:47:55 UTC 2005

Hi, I thought I would drop my two cents in the (giant) bucket on the
whole EMP thing. -  I will try to keep away from the soft stuff, in
case I'm not in everyone's killfile yet. =)

My understanding is that not all circuits would be harmed in the direct
path of an EMP attack. For instance, an active circuit would be damaged
over an inactive but powered circuit, and an inactive/powered circuit
would be damaged more or before an inactive and unpowered/charged
circuit. It is possible in this case to store hardware and power
sources separately, and they would be fine. For example a Faraday cage
with unpowered/uncharged equipment would most likely be fine. The
wave/differential would pass over the structure due to the skin effect.

The GWEN network will have no problems functioning in the event of an
EMP attack. If we were attacked, the counterattack would be coordinated
and go pretty much the same way.

Not only did the pilot episode of The Lone Gunmen on Fox air with the
plot of terrorists flying an airliner into the World Trade Centers, but
there is talk about what "Amalgam Virgo One" means among the conspiracy
theorists - but I don't want to fan those flames in this venue, if at
all. If you want to search for it, knock yourself out.

To EMP "the whole US" would require multiple bombs, very high altitude,
and would be a huge waste, imho.

Lastly, you don't need a nuclear device or high altitude. We EMPed an
Iraqi television network during the invasion. I remember a particularly
small puff on the tv station building and reports of the proper
symptoms for a kilometer radius. It was a class of  "flux compression
generator." probably wrapped in an mk.84.

Cheers!

BretK