[extropy-chat] Re: [SOCIO] Cooperation and diversity [Was: Spain has become...]

Dirk Bruere dirk at neopax.com
Sat Apr 23 18:35:04 UTC 2005

Jef Allbright wrote:

> Dirk Bruere wrote:
>
>> Jef Allbright wrote:
>>
>>> Rather, we can expect *increased* diversity, but within an
>>> increasingly aware cultural framework that recognizes and promotes
>>> the enhanced value of cooperative interaction among diverse agents.
>>>
>> I think that the opposite is likely.
>> That with increasing diversity there will come a massive, and
>> polarised, competition between new Human species.
>> Racism writ larger than ever.
>> Those who don't 'look after their own' preferentially will lose out
>> to those who do.
>>
> Dirk, cooperative advantage is fundamental to competitive success at
> all scales of organization, from the subatomic through prebiological
> and biological to cultural.
>
> Do you not think these hypothetical separatists would have some
> interests in common, and find ways to cooperate, even temporarily, to
> overcome others less organized?  Do you not think that those who find
> themselves at a disadvantage would tend to adapt and cooperate rather
> than be destroyed?
>
> Why do you speculate that these "new humans", more advanced than us,
> would recapitulate evolutionary growth from isolated biological
> organisms to cooperative cultural organisms?
>
> "Looking out for your own" is the essence of morality, and in the
> broader sense means converting your potential enemies into trading
> partners rather than destroying them.

The only morality will be game theory .
If it is cost effective to trade, then trade.
If it is cost effective to annihilate the opposition then that's what
will happen.
Why do you expect evolutionary pressures to cease or expect some kind of
universal morality beyond game theory?

--
Dirk

The Consensus:-