[extropy-chat] This Magazine on transhumanism

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 14:28:48 UTC 2005

The Canadian political magazine This Magazine
<http://www.thismagazine.ca/>has an
article on transhumanism<http://www.thismagazine.ca/issues/2005/01/greatbytehope.php>.
George Dvorsky and Betterhumans are frequently quoted. The article tries to
be objective, is not a hate piece.
Excerpts: Transhumanists envision a radical future in which man and machine
are one and death is a relic of the past. Should we prepare to enter the
post-human state, transcending the limits of our natural bodies, or should
we let evolution run its own course?
While the number of people who identify themselves as transhumanists is
relatively few, their significance should not be underestimated. An erudite
and prolific bunch, they produce reams of literature; the internet has been
an invaluable aid in disseminating their ideas. The fact that they've been
able to infuriate esteemed thinkers like Fukuyama and Kass is a considerable
achievement.That said, the demographics of the movement suggest it may be a
while before it reaches mainstream acceptance. Ninety percent of
transhumanists are highly educated white men under 45 from Western
democracies, mainly the US.
Transhumanists, like any social movement, would love to be proven right.
Whether or not that happens, at this point in time, they'd simply like to
engage their critics in debate. They are for the most part empathetic people
who are as opposed to inequality as some of their most zealous opponents.