[extropy-chat] Conspiracy Theory Theory [was peak oil theory]

Brian Lee brian_a_lee at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 25 14:59:26 UTC 2005

>From: Brent Neal <brentn at freeshell.org>
>To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] Debate on Peak Oil
>Date: Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:49:50 -0400
>
>  (4/25/05 7:33) Mike Lorrey <mlorrey at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >Yes. Political forces want high oil prices for several reasons. One is
> >to get America off of its consumption economy, to depopulate the rural
> >area further and congregate in cities so as to be easier to control,
> >another is to trigger a recession in preparation for a Chinese dollar
> >bomb attack prior to their retaking Taiwan (and assisted by JP Morgan).
> >Luddite goals which extropians should not let themselves get sucked
> >into.
>

>I recommend that you stop reading Tom Clancy novels. I think your view of
>reality is warping just a bit.
>
>What is it about conspiracy theories that make them so attractive to
>people?

>--
>Brent Neal
>Geek of all Trades
>http://brentn.freeshell.org

I think conspiracy theories are attractive because they show a comforting
worldview where someone/group is actually controlling the seemingly chaotic
and irrational events. This meshes into the whole monotheistic mythos where
God is in control.

Just my own crackpot theory to explain away crackpot theories.

BAL