[extropy-chat] good space shuttle article

Bret Kulakovich bret at bonfireproductions.com
Wed Aug 3 18:24:04 UTC 2005

... as opposed to the bomb we drive or ride to work, go across
country or on vacation on, water ski behind, etc. =)

It's the nature of stored energy. We're incredibly comfortable with
the automobile containing 20 gallons of gasoline these days. In 1920,
much less so.

Since this thread jumped from now to space elevators, I will say this
again.

Gas Core reactor
Gas Core reactor
Gas Core reactor.

There. =)

We need a governmental body that has the stored work and ability to
take 1% gnp and make the next big thing. Just like the Moon
landings. /bait

Liberty Ship, as a concept LLV can take 1000 tons to Leo, bring 500
tons back, and land under its own power, vertically, like Buck
Rodgers or Flash Gordon.

So while science figures out how the Interplanetary Transit System
Terminal (i.e. space elevator) is going to be built, then promptly
monopolized, why not open space to the rest of us? I say Halfnium/
Microwave jet/ram/scram engine for atmospheric, then Gas Core/bulb
reactor for flight. I'll go to Jupiter and skim fuel for myself.

If you're nice, I'll bring you back some too.

/rant

]3