[extropy-chat] intelligent design homework

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sat Aug 6 09:37:26 UTC 2005

On Aug 5, 2005, at 7:15 PM, Robert Lindauer wrote:

> I completely agree that it would be worthwhile for every child to
> have a complete comparative religion (obviously including
> Agnosticism and Athiesm) course just as it would be worthwhile to
> teach all children logic and soviet history (as an example of
> another history which is commonly read differently in the US than
> in the Soviet Union).

And I suppose we want to teach all of this as part of *science* eh?
The most objectionable part of ID proposals is requiring ID to be
taught as some kind of alternate scientific theory when it fails to
hold up or even be remotely useful if it ever is considered
scientifically.  Whether or not ID is something nice for kids to know
about isn't the primary question.  As non-science it does not belong
in a science curriculum.  Nor does the speculation of the Sim
Universe belong is science curriculum except as pure speculation.
Even then it doesn't belong in any of the subjects that evolution is
relevant to.  Evolution is what makes all of biology hold together.
To not teach that is to fail to teach what is known at all.

> Unfortunately, there's not always time in a public-school
> curricula.  So, with most -real libertarians- we should probably
> just do away with public education.  But only after we do away with
> taxation!  After all, if we're going to be paying for something, it
> may as well be something we want.

Huh?

- samantha