[extropy-chat] intelligent design homework

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sat Aug 6 02:38:49 UTC 2005

Many a catholic school kid has learned both comparative religion,
logic, extensive history, as well as latin, calculus, and a lot more,
on a tuition much less than what the average family pays in property
taxes for public diseducation (and they do it in less time). Home
schooled kids get even better educations for an average of $95 per year
(US Dept of Ed report) with even less time.

I've suspected for a long time that Bush was seeking to bankrupt the
federal government, but this is getting into issues that would get
booted to the extro-freedom list...

--- Robert Lindauer <robgobblin at aol.com> wrote:

> I completely agree that it would be worthwhile for every child to
> have a
> complete comparative religion (obviously including Agnosticism and
> Athiesm) course just as it would be worthwhile to teach all children
> logic and soviet history (as an example of another history which is
> commonly read differently in the US than in the Soviet Union).
> Unfortunately, there's not always time in a public-school curricula.
>
> So, with most -real libertarians- we should probably just do away
> with
> public education.  But only after we do away with taxation!  After
> all,
> if we're going to be paying for something, it may as well be
> something
> we want.
>
> Mike Lorrey wrote:
>
> >hey, why not. If Bush is going to use a liberal principle of open
> >mindedness to justify teaching a radically conservative religious
> >theory, perhaps it needs to be taken to its logical absurd
> >conclusion.... of course the astrology is the work of the devil (;))
> >but the Simulation Argument is both logically consistent and doesn't
> >step on any Christian toes, other than the idea that each simulated
> >universe has a unique creator....
> >
> >--- Damien Broderick <thespike at satx.rr.com> wrote:

> >>schools

> >>And Pythagorean astronomy, and astrology. And Mormon North American
>
> >>history. And Scientology cosmogony. And Christian science medical
> >>theory.
> >>"It's good for the children to hear the other side." Apparently
> >>there's
> >>only one other side.
> >>
> >>Damien Broderick

> >Mike Lorrey
> >Vice-Chair, 2nd District, Libertarian Party of NH
> >Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
> >http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com
> >Personal/political blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com

Mike Lorrey