[extropy-chat] can't war protesters do better?

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sun Aug 7 15:51:41 UTC 2005

Brett Paatsch wrote:

>> On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
>>
>>> But now the war has happened. The problem is how to extract
>>> ourselves witht he least additional damage.  Simply pulling out
>>> as fast as physically possible may be the least bad solution, but
>>> it will not stop the insurgency. It will lead to an ugly 3-way civil
>>> war.
>>
> Haven't promises now also been made to those Iraqi's that are not
> fighting as insurgents and who did vote for another less US disapproved
> government?
>
> And if so are those promises to now be put aside, and to be seen as
> being put aside by the world that is watching via the media?
>
> Colin Powell said to George Bush in relation to Iraq, the Pottery Barn
> rule applies here, if you break it you will own it.

The Bush administration, in its self-delusion, made promises that it is
not physically possible to fulfill. Yes, it will be dishonorable if we
do not fulfill those promises. If the Bush administration had promised
to teach each Iraqi to teleport, it would be dishonorable to fail to
meet that commitment also. The fact that honor requires an outcome does
not make the outcome possible.