[extropy-chat] can't war protesters do better?

Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net
Sun Aug 7 15:56:36 UTC 2005

Rik van Riel wrote:

>On Sat, 6 Aug 2005, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
>

>>But now the war has happened. The problem is how to extract ourselves
>>witht he least additional damage.  Simply pulling out as fast as
>>physically possible may be the least bad solution, but it will not stop
>>the insurgency. It will lead to an ugly 3-way civil war.
>>

>I'm not convinced.  Most of the "insurgents" appear to be foreigners,
>who came to Iraq specifically to fight the Americans and the British.
>
>If the Americans and the British go elsewhere, I suspect these
>islamic fundamentalists will simply follow them and continue to blow
>them up in their new location.

The Bush administration has tied the Iraq war to terrorism. We had two
independent problems. now we have two interdependent problems. If we
solve the Iraq problem using the least bad solution (IMO, a partition)
we will still have the terrorism problem, as you say, and the terrorism
problem will be worse than it was before we entered Iraq, but better
than it is now.