[extropy-chat] Transparency vs. terrorism

BillK pharos at gmail.com
Sun Aug 7 19:30:41 UTC 2005

On 8/7/05, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
> I agree. That's why I proposed using volunteers rather than government,
> and real-time rather than stored data. Let's get the public involved
> early. I'm not comfortable with universal transparency, but I'm even
> less comfortable with a government monopoly on universal surveillance.

You need recording and stored data.
If one LOL sees something suspicious, it might be over before the
other 100 LOLs are called in to look at it. By the time it is
escalated to the professionals to join their queue of things to be
looked at, it could be hours before they get round to it.

And you may need evidence for investigation and courts, like in the
London bombings.

BillK