[extropy-chat] Transparency vs. terrorism

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Sun Aug 7 20:17:58 UTC 2005

On Aug 7, 2005, at 12:12 PM, Dan Clemmensen wrote:
> I agree. That's why I proposed using volunteers rather than
> government, and real-time rather than stored data. Let's get the
> public involved early. I'm not comfortable with universal
> transparency, but I'm even less comfortable with a government
> monopoly on universal surveillance.

Ah, thanks for the clarification.  So insure everyone the right to
record and share whatever they like?  Hollywood and the record
companies would be most unhappy.  I have written many times here that
augmentation of human beings whether that augmentation is external or
internal leads  to an ability to perfectly record/remember
everything one experiences and share it with others.  It would be
good to start reworking our assumptions, mores, business models and
laws now for the world that is coming.

- samantha