[extropy-chat] can't war protesters do better?

Samantha Atkins sjatkins at mac.com
Mon Aug 8 19:43:37 UTC 2005

On Aug 8, 2005, at 5:22 AM, Brian Lee wrote:

>> From: Samantha Atkins <sjatkins at mac.com>
>> To: ExI chat list <extropy-chat at lists.extropy.org>
>> Subject: Re: [extropy-chat] can't war protesters do better?
>> Date: Mon, 8 Aug 2005 03:21:30 -0700
>>
>> On Aug 8, 2005, at 2:25 AM, Brian Lee wrote:
>>

>>> I find it comical that you harangue the red staters for being
>>> stupid and then express your own stupidity by calling them
>>> "country- bumpkin citizens of dumbf*ckistan".
>>>
>>> There's a name for those who can't understand the viewpoints of
>>> others: fundamentalists.
>>>

>> Sorry, but no.  That is not the meaning of "fundamentalist".
>>

> Yes, it is actually. In this case, the source providing the Truth
> is himself. He does not consider the opinions of others when making
> decisions. Throw up your definition of fundamentalist, maybe I'm
> just getting disconnected

fundamentalism |ˌfəndəˈmentlˌizəm| |ˈfəndəˌmɛn(t)lˈɪzəm|
|fʌndəˌmɛnt(ə)lɪz(ə)m|
noun
a form of Protestant Christianity that upholds belief in the strict
and literal interpretation of the Bible, including its narratives,
doctrines, prophecies, and moral laws.
• strict maintenance of ancient or fundamental doctrines of any
religion or ideology, notably Islam.

Not considering the opinion of others is not part of the definition.

>>> You're acting like a fundamentalist in your belief that you are
>>> correct and tons of others are wrong. It goes both ways. I think
>>> calling 51% of the US idiots is no way to further your cause.
>>>

>> Over 70% of Americans believe in literal miracles and think
>> evolution  is bunk.  Clearly more than 51% of Americans are in
>> fact idiots.
>>

> No, this doesn't mean they are idiots. It just means they have an
> incorrect view on miracles/evolution. I once worked with a content
> director who was in the habit of saying stuff like "Who was the
> fucking idiot who misspelled 'the' on the main page". An error does
> not create an idiot (especially when made by a CS graduate from
> Yale who was pretty smart).

I stand corrected in that the definition of idiot includes actual low
intelligence.  So what is a good word for the apparent majority of
the population which is (largely willingly) clinging to indefensible
BS?  It is not that they have honest incorrect views.   There is a
huge defense racket to preserve those notions regardless of any and
all evidence, argument or logic.   They are functionally dumb.

- samantha