[extropy-chat] SF: Alastair Reynolds

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 10:53:51 UTC 2005

I have not read any Alastair Reynolds <http://www.alastairreynolds.com/>'
books yet, but after reading a good review I just ordered some from Amazon.
Especially the last Reynolds' novel Century
Rain<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0441012906/qid=1123670189/sr=1-5/ref=sr_1_5/103-1604373-6143051?v=glance&s=books>seems
good (I imagine a mix of Morgan and Stross). From an Amazon review:
"There's
your regular space opera with a long-gone godlike alien race, alienesque
superhumans, Earth devastated due to mankinds' mistakes, spaceships and
space battles and all-powerful nanotechnology. Then there's a detective
story set in Paris in the 50's, which also picks up a romantic twist as it
goes on and gets mixed with the space-opera side, and in between there's a
whiff of Stargate - yet it still manages to feel like hard scifi instead of
light science-fantasy".
>From an Infinity Plus
interview<http://www.infinityplus.co.uk/nonfiction/intar.htm>with
Reynolds: "A
strong new challenger to Stephen Baxter and Peter F. Hamilton for the
leadership of British Hard SF, Alastair Reynolds brings to both his
impressive short fiction and his commanding novels vision, clarity, and
expertise. With a Ph.D. in astronomy and years of experience as an
astrophysicist working for the European Space Agency in the Netherlands, he
naturally has a thorough grasp of scientific detail, and a briskly
authoritative narrative voice to convey it; his firm grounding in literary
SF shows in the disciplined reach of his imagination, which takes in drastic
transformations of humanity and the hidden drift of galactic history."