[extropy-chat] LA Times on human enhancement

Giu1i0 Pri5c0 pgptag at gmail.com
Wed Aug 10 07:18:00 UTC 2005

Today's LA Times<http://www.latimes.com/news/printedition/opinion/la-oe-sarewitz9aug09,1,1735412.story?ctrack=1&cset=true>has
an editorial on human enhancement. Following the "precautionary
principle", the author believes we should stop developing human enhancement
technologies: "Why do we trust our long-term well-being to the irrational
faith that the good consequences of our ingenuity will outweigh the bad?".
Before developing his arguments, the author acknowledges that "Biological
engineering is not just about curing disease anymore. The incentives and
profits are moving toward drugs, gene therapies and other technologies to
enhance human performance - memory, creativity, concentration, strength,
endurance, longevity. As a 2002 report of the normally staid National
Science Foundation proclaimed, the 21st century "could end in world peace,
universal prosperity, and evolution to a higher level of compassion and
accomplishment," all through research on human-performance enhancement".
Then he says that the development of human enhancement technologies is not
controlled by ordinary people, who will be relegated to the role of passive
consumers with no decision making power. The simplest answer to this
objection is, I believe, that enhanced citizens will be able to participate
more effectively in policy through better access to information and better
reasoning power. An enhanced citizen would be, if anything, much less likely
to follow subliminal advertising placed in mass media to "smartly" steer the
minds of the people. Also, that ordinary citizens have no say is
unfortunately true for so many other important things that focusing on human
enhancement is just missing the point. The problem is elsewhere.
But what I find really disturbing is the statement "How would more direct
communication of thought [through direct brain-to-brain interfaces] help
Israelis and Palestinians better understand one another? Unable to use the
ambiguities and subtleties of language to soften the impact of one's raw
convictions, might conflict actually be amplified?". This is just a
restatement of the old lie, affirmed by many religions, that ignorance is
better than knowledge (and "dignified" disease is better than health, etc.).
On the contrary I am sure that is Israelis and Palestinians could really
"touch and feel" the point of view people in the other camp, it would be
much easier to find win-win solutions. In this case as in so many others,
knowledge is better than ignorance, and empowerment is better than
powerlessness.