[extropy-chat] From soy & lentils to Soylent specials

Mike Lorrey mlorrey at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 21 00:33:07 UTC 2005

--- Dan Clemmensen <dgc at cox.net> wrote:

> Amara Graps wrote:
>
> > Dan Clemmensen dgc at cox.net  :
> >
> >> From my perspective, the most effective way to end the slaughter
> of
> >> innocent cows [...]
> >
> > yes, it would be much better to slaughter _guilty_ cows
> >
> > :-)
>
> Don't get me started. Cows with attitude are the first to go, let me
> assure you. Of course, steers have every reason to have an attitude,
> they just no longer have all the equipment.
>
> As a transhumanist, I'm opposed to killing innocent mammals, because
> it sets a bad precedent. If an SI decides to eliminate humans based
> on economic utility, Humans have already created ample precedent.
>
> We might be slighty [m]ore justified in killing "guilty" mammals:
> those that in our considered opinion are causing more harm than good.

Firstly, transhumanism has nothing to do with animal rights, so stop
injecting sentiments that don't belong. When you upgrade a cows brain
so that it can beat me at chess, play a musical instrument with its
farts, and moo out answers to algebraic equations, I will agree to not
eating that particular cow. If an SI can't tell the difference between
us and a cow, it certainly is not as intelligent as some might think.

As it is, a cow has just enough brain cells to function as an organism
one step short of being a hunk of meat in a vat. They are very dumb
beasts and have been evolved that way.

Cows are also the most efficiently evolved ruminants in natural
history. They turn more of their intake resources into useful products
in less time than any other animal its size.

Oh, and btw: when I get my skin gengeneered to generate nutrients from
sunlight, you evil plant eating humans will be the first to go... ;)

Mike Lorrey
Founder, Constitution Park Foundation:
http://constitutionpark.blogspot.com
Personal/political blog: http://intlib.blogspot.com