[extropy-chat] Betting on Global Warming

Robert Lindauer robgobblin at aol.com
Mon Aug 22 06:40:11 UTC 2005

Federal offense under the wire laws:

"Whoever being engaged in the business of betting or wagering knowingly
uses a wire communication facility for the transmission in interstate
or foreign commerce of bets or wagers or information assisting in the
placing of bets or wagers on any sporting event or contest, or for the
transmission of a wire communication which entitles the recipient to
receive money or credit as a result of bets or wagers, or for
information assisting in the placing of bets or wagers, shall be fined
under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."

With an actual conviction in the case of Jay Cohen.

For information, see:

http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/cohen.htm

It's not clear how this would affect someone making a casual wager
since they're not "in the business of betting or wagering..."

Robbie