[extropy-chat] Betting on Global Warming

The Avantguardian avantguardian2020 at yahoo.com
Mon Aug 22 07:12:31 UTC 2005

--- Robert Lindauer <robgobblin at aol.com> wrote:

> Federal offense under the wire laws:
>
> "Whoever being engaged in the business of betting or
> wagering knowingly
> uses a wire communication facility for the
> transmission in interstate
> or foreign commerce of bets or wagers or information
> assisting in the
> placing of bets or wagers on any sporting event or
> contest, or for the
> transmission of a wire communication which entitles
> the recipient to
> receive money or credit as a result of bets or
> wagers, or for
> information assisting in the placing of bets or
> wagers, shall be fined
> under this title or imprisoned not more than two
> years, or both."
>
> With an actual conviction in the case of Jay Cohen.
>
> For information, see:
>
> http://www.usdoj.gov/criminal/cybercrime/cohen.htm

I am not an attorney, but I see a lot wiggle room in
the wording of that law. For one thing it seems to
apply specifically to betting on sporting events over
the wire. Yet clearly there are web-based sport
bookies out there so it may be a problematic law to
enforce. But really I don't think a futures type
market would be illegal under the law as it is stated.
A strict interpretation would mean that you could bet
on anything EXCEPT a sporting event or contest. A
loose interpretation would make the likes of E*Trade
illegal. But clearly the government isn't going after
online brokerages so it may actually be just a
prohibition against betting on sporting events.

The Avantguardian
is
Stuart LaForge
alt email: stuart"AT"ucla.edu

"The surest sign of intelligent life in the universe is that they haven't attempted to contact us."
-Bill Watterson