[extropy-chat] a futurist prediction

Neil H. neuronexmachina at gmail.com
Fri Aug 26 03:27:56 UTC 2005

On 8/25/05, BillK <pharos at gmail.com> wrote:
> I think they are still using the old
> 'recommend a friend' system, but every gmail user has 50 invites and
> if you use them up they will be renewed the next day.

Actually, Google just announced that invites aren't necessary anymore:

http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2005/08/sign-up-for-gmail.html

If I understand correctly they can now send a code directly to a U.S.
mobile phone (for verification purposes). If someone wants an invite
and doesn't want to go through that, I've still got plenty of invites
available.

I also agree with Emlyn -- I've barely been noticing the various
political threads in gmail.

-- Neil