[extropy-chat] Re: Are dwarfs better for long duration spaceflight?

Eugen Leitl eugen at leitl.org
Tue Aug 30 07:13:14 UTC 2005

On Mon, Aug 29, 2005 at 10:20:59PM +0100, ben wrote:
> As far as i'm aware, dwarfism is a medical condition, not just a
> variation of height. I think there are at least potential cardiac
> problems, possibly other things too. Dwarfs tend to live shorter lives
> than most people. I think it would be inadvisable to send dwarfs (isn't
> it 'dwarves', or is that just in fantasy stories?) into space. Would
> they be able to hack the training?. I have a feeling that it might not
> be a good idea to subject a dwarf to 6g or whatever they do in those
> centrifuges.

Lucia Zarate was the smallest woman ever recorded. At her birth in 1864, she weighed only eight ounces and was seven inches long. By adulthood she was less than twenty inches tall and weighed less than five pounds. She was described as bright and animated. She first came to the US at twelve years old and was one of the highest-paid dwarves of all time. Lucia died of exposure when the train she was on became stalled in the Rocky Mountains during a heavy snowstorm.

http://www.google.com/search?hs=kAK&hl=en&lr=&client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&q=lucia+zarate&btnG=Search

http://www.primordialdwarfism.com/fulltext-1.pdf

It would be truly remarkable if she had a normal IQ in such
a small package, though.